Monday, May 17, 2010

Why Hello There, Gorgeous

I've just finished the under-painting for my next large oil on paper painting.  I've generated this composition differently than most.  Instead of starting, as I usually do, by thinking of what image I would most want to paint, I began by thinking about what image I would most want to have on my wall.  I decided that if I were being honest, the image that I would most want to encounter everyday would be one of a bunch of people looking at me as though they love me and are joyous to see me.  So this is the feeling that I'm setting out to evoke with this group of smilers.  I want the painting to gaze with love upon it's viewer.


Do you think I can manage to complete a painting that smiles affectionately at it's viewer without its veering too deeply into the creepy?

2 comments:

  1. The more I think about it, the more my biggest concern would be that it could look like the people in the photo are smiling for a photo. The more you can do to make the viewer think THEY are the one being smiled at (instead of everybody saying "cheese" the better.

    ReplyDelete