Thursday, March 25, 2010

Painting Progress

I've done some more work on this painting.  It didn't feel like it had been that long since I'd worked on it, but it is a bad sign when you need to dust your pallete off before use.

Here's the current status:

I have always loved cropped details of my paintings. The way that the colors and textures interact always feels surprising to me - like something I didn't intend, but just happened upon when I wasn't paying attention. Here's a detail from my recent efforts:


I tend to feel like details like this make really nice abstract compositions, and yet I very rarely paint abstractly, and when I do, the results lack interest for me.  Abstract painting in general lacks interest for me.  As with poetry, where I love a good turn of phrase or pairing of words, but cannot get into work that is all about the aesthetics of words without any larger story or image involved, I love the abstract details of interacting paint, but need it to be couched in a discernible narrative, image, or idea.

For a as long as I've been painting, that larger image has almost always involved the human figure, but in this painting so far, and in my last one, I actually ended up paying much more attention to the background. As if the figure was an excuse for painting bushes and wallpaper.  It makes me wonder if I should try doing some work that is not abstract, but not figurative.  Work where I abandon the figure altogether, and focus on what I've been putting behind them.

2 comments:

  1. Or maybe you should just embrace the interaction between figures and setting? Maybe the person is the background to the world they are in? Or is that too BS sounding? I feel like taking the figures out of the paintings would make it harder for a majority of viewers to connect with them as easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because you think I don't read your blog anymore...

    I...cannot get into work that is all about the aesthetics of words without any larger story or image involved, I love the abstract details of interacting paint, but need it to be couched in a discernible narrative...

    I'm the same way. With art, with film (the characters and narrative are much more important to me than cinematography), with music (lyrics over sound; in fact, with instrumental music, I can't differentiate one song from another). Patrick and I talked about this a lot. He once took me to a silent film, and by the end of it, I had no idea what was going on. Without language, I couldn't follow the narrative. It's different with static art, I guess, because I can stand there for as long as I want to invent a narrative for a painting. When I can't, I move on, uninterested.

    ReplyDelete